Why you need proactive patch management to secure your cloud
Cloud convenience can create a false sense of security, leading many to believe their cloud infrastructure is automatically protected. While some aspects are automated, proper security demands a proactive approach, especially when a single unpatched vulnerability can expose your entire environment to hackers (remember Equifax?).
This article clarifies why patch management remains crucial, even in the cloud, and how Revolgy’s proactive approach can help you stay secure and compliant.
Why is patch management important?
Patch management is the process of identifying, applying, and managing software updates to address vulnerabilities, fix bugs, and improve security.
Without proper patch management, you risk exposing your systems to cyberattacks, data breaches, and operational disruptions. These vulnerabilities can result in data breaches, financial and sensitive data losses, and reputational damage.
A shared responsibility model for infrastructure security
Cloud providers indeed handle some patching by default. However, that often only covers basic OS updates, leaving critical application patches and configuration settings under your control. Patches and updates also have their settings in the cloud, depending on how you set it up.
You need to make sure that the components of your infrastructure are all up-to-date and compatible with each other. For example, if you’re running an AWS infrastructure, you want to make sure your EKS version is supported; if not, you need to update it while making sure everything else is aligned and not at risk of breaking.
Major upgrades bring along even more risks and responsibilities. They often come with breaking changes that must first be “cleaned up” and removed from the code so everything works smoothly. You’ll also need to prepare for the switch and ideally have a testing environment where you’ll test your patched ecosystem beforehand.
Revolgy can keep every infrastructure component up-to-date with the latest security updates to maintain security and protect against vulnerabilities. Our Cloud Operations engineering team makes sure you can focus on your core business while we keep your infrastructure updated.
- Vulnerability and update scanning using cloud-native and third-party tools: We use a combination of cloud-native and third-party tools to scan your infrastructure for potential vulnerabilities and available software patches.
- Patch categorization and evaluation: We categorize patches based on their criticality and impact, ensuring you receive timely updates without disrupting your business operations.
- Patch implementation: We implement the approved patches using automated tools and processes, minimizing downtime and ensuring a smooth transition to updated software.
- Automatic configuration patching for managed cloud services: For managed cloud services, we automatically apply configuration patches to maintain consistency and security across your environment.
Beyond patch management
In addition to patch management, we also offer a variety of other updating services, including:
- Upgrade management: We provide planned upgrades for all critical components of your infrastructure.
- Configuration management: Full-stack configuration management service.
- Toolchain management: We take care of the various tools and services used to control and manage your infrastructure. More on toolchain management here.
- Business reviews and recommendations
Don’t let the cloud lull you into a false sense of security. Patching remains crucial, even with managed services. Revolgy goes beyond basic patching, offering a comprehensive solution for identifying vulnerabilities, prioritizing updates, and ensuring smooth implementation. Contact us for a free consultation.